Easy Applesauce Recipe
If you're like us, having homemade applesauce on hand can be quite convenient! We like using it in various baked goods - and it makes a great snack for little people. This applesauce recipe is very simple and very flexible; you can do a lot with it.
Although making your own applesauce isn't really a lot cheaper than buying it, you can have the comfort of knowing that it is made out of pure and healthy ingredients; you can also have a lot of fun creating your own unique flavors. And what's better on a cold evening than a steaming bowl of applesauce?
This applesauce recipe is very general, since it totally depends on how much applesauce you are planning to make. And there is really no need for a recipe; basic applesauce only calls for two ingredients!
~Apples (any kind will work! If you choose to go with a tarter kind, such as Granny Smith, than you may want to add some sugar to the applesauce.)
~Water (enough to cover the apples)
1. Peel, core, and slice apples thinly. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Adding some strips of lemon peel will help to highten the apple flavor; so add some in if you like.
2. Bring apples to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft. Check for softness by poking with a fork. You want them soft enough to mash or blend.
3. When soft, transfer apples and liquid into a blender or a food processor. Blend until smooth. If you prefer slightly chunky, place sliced apples in a bowl and mash with a potato masher until you get it the way you want.
If you want to add some flavor to your applesauce now, trying adding berries or cinnamon during the blending process. Either fresh or frozen berries may be used.
b>4. Pour applesauce into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims of jars with a damp cloth and screw on lids and rims.
5. Process in water bath canner for 20 minutes; adjusting the time for your location.
More Applesauce Recipes
If you're wanting a more specific recipe, here's a delicious one that blends brown and white sugar into a luscious cinnamon treat.
3 - 4 lbs apples
4 strips of lemon peel (you can use a vegetable peeler to strip four lengths)
3-4 T. lemon juice
3 inches of cinnamon stick
1/4 C. dark brown sugar
1/4 C. white sugar
1 C. water
1/2 tsp. salt
1. Put all ingredients into a large pot. Cover. Bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Remove cinnamon sticks and lemon peels. Mash with potato masher, or place in a blender and blend until smooth.
3. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Wipe rims with a damp cloth and place lids and rims in. Process in a water bath canner for 20 minutes; adjust time for your location.
go from Applesauce Recipe to Canning Fruits